The apostolate takes its name and inspiration from Luke 1:46, the opening line of Mary’s joyful Magnificat: “My soul magnifies the Lord.” By following the examples set by the Blessed Mother and her relative Saint Elizabeth, this woman-to-woman ministry encourages a lively, active faith in the Lord, along with a love for Mary and the Church.
We are a private association of the faithful within the Catholic Church under the jurisdiction of the local ordinary. The mother chapter began in 1981 at the encouragement of Archbishop Philip M. Hannan and Auxiliary Bishop Stanley J. Ott of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. We were born out of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and are nurtured by it. Members are encouraged to become more open to the Holy Spirit through a deeper commitment of their lives to Jesus as Lord. They also seek to impart the Holy Spirit to one another by their love, service and sharing the good news of salvation.
The group hosts quarterly prayer meals, retreats, healing workshops and other activities to support the members. To start a new Chapter, contact Magnificat International at www.magnificat-ministry.net.
The apostolate has five objectives:
- 1. Live out the joyful mystery of Mary’s visit to Elizabeth.
- 2. Help Catholic women open their lives to the Holy Spirit through a deeper commitment to Jesus as Lord and impart Christ’s Spirit to each other through love, service, and sharing the good news of salvation.
- 3. Provide opportunities for women to grow in holiness.
- 4. Sponsor the quarterly Magnificat prayer meal.
- 5. Imitate Mary through the spiritual adoption of priests and seminarians in prayer.
Magnificat Morning Star Chapter founded in the Diocese of Lincoln in 1996:
Local Website - www.magnificatoflincoln.com
Priest Chaplain - Rev. Msgr. Paul Witt, V.F.
President/Inquiries - Mrs. Rhonda Litt, 1101 N 79th St, Lincoln NE 68505
402-489-3819 or 402-525-6396
The Morningstar Chapter of Magnificat in Lincoln will host their next prayer meal on Nov. 11, 2017 with Kris Sarver (click for PDF with info and registration).
Join us for a weekend retreat March 16-18, 2018 at Good Counsel Retreat House, Waverly with Susan Potvin and Living Praise Worship Team, register at goodcounselretreat.com
See the full schedule of events at MagnificatOfLincoln.com.