Women Religious

Sisters of Mercy

Major Superior: Sister Patricia McDermott, RSM (Silver Spring, MD)

Provincial Superior: Sister Laura Reicks, RSM
Central Administrative Office
7262 Mercy Road
Omaha NE 68124-2389

Diocesan Location:
Sister Mary Schroer
St. Mary Church
1420 K Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
402-435-2126
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In 1831, Venerable Catherine McAuley founded the Sisters of Mercy in Ireland to serve the poor, sick, and ignorant. The Mercy Sisters came to Nebraska in 1864. They were the first women religious to come to the territory. From 1922 to 1936, the Sisters taught at St. Joseph School in Friend. From 1926 to 1998, they served at Blessed Sacrament School in Lincoln. Sister Mary Schorer, who serves at Saint Mary Parish in Lincoln, is from Blessed Sacrament Parish, Lincoln. Sister Mary Christelle Macaluso and Sister Mary Kathleen Barney (deceased) are also natives of the Lincoln Diocese.

Taken from The History of The Diocese of Lincoln 1987-2002 - Vol. II

When the Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1864, Omaha was a frontier town.   When seven young Sisters of Mercy arrived at the banks of the Missouri River 150 years ago. Omaha was little more than a cluster of buildings surrounded by mud. The Sisters came from Manchester, New Hampshire at the request of Bishop James O'Gorman to provide formal education to the people in this frontier town. The Sisters took a horse-drawn bus up the long hill to the building at what is now 24th and St. Mary's Ave. The Nebraskian newspaper heralded their arrival in Nebraska as "a new era in its history." 

Within a month, the Sisters had established two schools. They quickly saw that the growing needs of the community stretched beyond the classroom and soon found themselves assisting the orphaned, homeless, hungry, poor and ill. 

Over the past 150 years, these pioneering Sisters have dedicated their lives to bringing the mission of Mercy to those in need, inspired by Jesus Christ and their founder Venerable Catherine McAuley. In many ways, they have helped shape the people and the landscape through their leadership, lives of prayer and their ministries of service. They are known for their years of administering and teaching in Catholic grade schools. They founded high schools that led to Mercy High School and opened College of Saint Mary in Omaha. They addressed the need for faith-based health care through the hospitals they started and led for many years. Their commitment to affordable housing is seen in Mercy Housing that started in Omaha and now provides affordable housing in 21 states. Their work continues in these traditional ministries while embracing new critical issues such as ending human trafficking and racism. 

Today, the Sisters of Mercy are part of a larger community - the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas West Midwest Community, formed in 2008. With its regional office in Omaha. the West Midwest Community consists of a geographic area that stretches from Michigan to California and includes nearly 700 Sisters, more than 500 Mercy Associates/Companions of Mercy and more than 900 Mercy Volunteer Corps Alumni.

The Diocese of Lincoln | Chancery Office: 3400 Sheridan Blvd, Lincoln NE 68506-6125 | 402-488-0921 | Email Site Map | Clergy Resources | Bookkeepers

Site by Solutio