WAVERLY (SNR) – The Marian Sisters of the Diocese of Lincoln elected a new General Council March 17.
Bishop James Conley celebrated Mass for the Sisters during the elections. He is pictured above with (back, from left) Mother Ann Marie Zierke, M.S., superior general, Sister Jacquelyn Darner, M.S., fourth councilor and treasurer; Sister Serena Deters, M.S., third councilor; (front) Sister Jeanette Rerucha, M.S., second councilor; Sister Cecilia Ann Rezac, M.S., first councilor; and Sister Carol Hohmeier, M.S., secretary.
The new Council will go into effect June 1.
The Marian Sisters are a community dedicated to serving God and the Church in the Diocese of Lincoln. They serve in various apostolates of education, health care, and social work.
Foundresses Sister Marta Silna and Sister Theresa Gottvald were members of the Mercy Sisters of St. Francis in Czechoslovakia. In 1950, they escaped Communist rule in Czechoslovakia. Bishop Kucera invited them to serve at St. Thomas Orphanage.
In 1954, the Marian Sisters were established as the first Lincoln diocesan religious community. In 1963, Marycrest Motherhouse was built, and the community received papal approval in 1983.
The Sisters followed the Franciscan Rule and their own Constitutions. Their charism is to “Do God’s Will joyfully in imitation of Mary and Saint Francis.”blog comments powered by Disqus